Sunday, January 30, 2011

Garlic-peanut coleslaw

Yesterday was slow-roasted Texas-style brisket day.  While it was slowly (very, very slowly) cooking, I prepared a few side dishes. One of those was my signature garlic-peanut coleslaw.

Garlic-peanut coleslaw

Coleslaw is remarkably simple, so I had to complicate things.  I started by preparing a home-made aioli.  It's like a mayonaise, but with taste and texture that puts it in a different class altogether.

Aioli requires you to be meticulous in two areas.

First - food safety is paramount.  Raw eggs are involved, which raises the possibility of salmonella.  Pasteurized-in-the-shell eggs are the safest.  I use locally grown organic eggs (safer than the big factories) and avoid contact between the yolk/white and the outside of the shell.

Second - the blending process is delicate.  I put two eggs, tons of crushed garlic, chopped parsely, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of lemon juice in the food processor.  I set it blending for a few minutes, then very slowly drizzle in olive oil until the mixture starts to firm up to the consistency of a thick pudding.

Then I prepared the other ingredients - finely grated carrot, chopped peanuts and lots of shredded fresh savoy cabbage.

Cabbage, carrot, peanuts and garlic-parsley aoli

Mix, chill, serve and enjoy!

Next - the brisket emerges.

No comments:

Post a Comment