Sunday, January 30, 2011

Stinging Nettles

Yesterday we went for a short walk at the Shipley Nature Center - an urban oasis packed with native vegetation and wildlife.

Early signs of spring

Crazy Girl spotted a rare insect.  She was very, very excited.  After much studying, I identified it as ladybugus onleafus.

The elusive ladybugus onleafus

Being a guy, I wanted to pick it up and show it to her up close.  I failed to identify the leaf it was on as belonging to the stinging nettle plant, known in the scientific community as ohmygod thathurtsthathurtsthathurts.

Ouch - The stinging nettle

One millisecond, and the lightest of brushes against the back of my hand was all it took.  I felt like I had stuck my hand into a roaring fire.  Large welts immediately raised, and it burned and itched all afternoon.

While researching possible treatments to ease the discomfort, I learned that in England, there is an annual stinging nettle eating contest.  Yes, eating.  I can't even fathom the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment